Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lil' Twister

As I'm not entirely certain when my sewing time will come to a halt, I've been working on finishing up some projects and starting only smallish projects. Or at least I've been trying to motivate to do so.  I did drop two quilts off at the shop yesterday to have them quilted - the State of Grace quilt I finished last week and the Just Before Dawn top that I finished a year ago May and have just had sitting around! 

I'd picked up a pattern and template called Lil' Twister (by Country Schoolhouse Designs of Superior, WI) at the IQF show in Chicago in April and thought it looked simple enough to give a start.  You begin by sewing together charm squares in a pleasing arrangement with a narrow border, like so:


And then you use the template to cut squares out from the sewn piece to give the illusion of pinwheels, like so:


Not terribly difficult to do, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't have looked better with fabrics with more contrast.  I do love the Martinique line by 3 Sisters that I used, but the pinwheels aren't necessarily all that apparent. Once I sew the blocks together, I'm thinking of adding on a narrow cream border and a slightly wider red border to finish it off and brighten it up a bit.

1 comment:

Staci said...

I love this! I think Martinique is one of my favorite lines. I made a skirt out of charm squares, and I feel like I'm wearing a light weight quilt every time I'm in it.

I don't know that I'd be able to sew it all together just to cut it up and then sew it again. I'm excited to see the finished product!