Sunday, April 22, 2012

Superhero Quilt

The entire twin-sized quilt.
It dawned on me when visiting my sister's house at Christmas that my soon-to-be 5 year-old nephew really only had his original baby quilt from me, as well as a simple Sesame Street-inspired fleece that I sewed for his first or second birthday (I can't seem to locate a photo on my blog), whereas his younger brother received a more big-boyish quilt for his second birthday.  It was time to do something to rectify the situation!

Superheroes are very much on Alex's mind of late and it seemed an appropriate theme for a quilt for him.  However, there are only a limited number of superhero characters available in fabric right now, namely Batman and Superman. And the fabrics are rather graphic and busy.  How exactly does one use them most effectively?

Detail view.
I toyed with the idea of designing a few logos or the logo of his current favorite, Ben 10, and appliqueing them into the center of a design, but I don't really care for applique all that much, and I knew that I wouldn't be able to find matching character fabric for it. After much consideration, I decided the best route would be to find a pattern that would use large-ish squares that would let the novelty fabric shine. At this point, I recalled that Atkinson Designs' Slide Show pattern was a pretty easy sew and would allow the novelty fabrics to show (I made this small one up as a charity quilt last spring).  I purchased fat quarters online and decided to use a navy lattice to bring things together for the twin sized quilt. I love the scattered solid squares of yellow and red that pick up the colors in the novelty fabrics.
Another detail view.

Trudie Hughes quilted this one for me with navy thread in a very linear pattern I selected and turned it around in 24 hours, which meant I was able to ship it to Ohio in time for Alex's birthday yesterday. I hear that he was pleased with it (and was impressed that it included BOTH Batman and Superman). Score!!! I have a ton of extra fabric left over from the backing (I discovered I could cut the fabric in the opposite way and it used significantly less yardage), so when I get to it, I think I'll whip up a couple of matching pillowcases.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

This is amazing...my nephew might have to get something similar thank you for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

This quilt is awesome! I'm curious on the block sizes if you'd be ok sharing?

lori said...

I love this and looking to make something like this for a couple getting married who absolutely love super heroes. Could you please tell me what pattern you used....Thanks so much

Unknown said...

Did you realize there's a 12 word sentence you can say to your partner... that will trigger deep feelings of love and instinctual appeal for you deep inside his chest?

Because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that triggers a man's instinct to love, look after and care for you with all his heart...

====> 12 Words Who Fuel A Man's Desire Instinct

This instinct is so hardwired into a man's genetics that it will make him work harder than before to do his best at looking after your relationship.

Matter-of-fact, triggering this dominant instinct is so binding to achieving the best possible relationship with your man that the second you send your man a "Secret Signal"...

...You'll immediately find him open his mind and heart for you in such a way he never experienced before and he will distinguish you as the one and only woman in the galaxy who has ever truly appealed to him.