Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter Weekend Sewing

I had the opportunity to get a bit of sewing in over the long weekend. First off was finishing up the Indigo Girl Quilt that I previewed in late February. The central blocks had been pinned to my design wall for pushing a month and I had the border pinwheels together after my "finishing bee" group met last month.



I really like how this project turned out - it was purchased as a kit from the Fat Quarter Shop, and uses the Urban Indigo line from Fig Tree Quilts. The pattern is Jelly Roll Jive from A Graceful Stitch - Quilt Designs by Denise Sheehan. I have fabric from this line to make another quilt, but I'm not sure it'll materialize this spring or later. I have so many projects I want to do right now that I might put that one off for a year or so... (yes, it's sad when you talk about putting things off for a whole year!).

The method for putting together the above project results in a lot of "waste" half-square triangles. Knowing they would simply sit around if I didn't do something with them right away, I threw together this little arrangement.



It's small, but I'm fine with that and am considering whether I want to frame it and do some more half-square triangles or just keep it like this. We'll see.

Finally, given that my design wall was cleared off, I sewed this pattern (called "X-Rated") from Schnibbles by Miss Rosie's Quilt Co.



This is a quilt that requires planning from the get go because you sew it together in rows on point, so I really and truly needed the design wall. I started it Friday night after getting home from the baseball game and finished it on Saturday night, which is pretty good! Now I just need to figure out how to quilt it; unfortunately I can't tell from the picture in the pattern how that one was quilted, so I can't steal any ideas. I love the fabric too - the Portugal Collection by April Cornell. It uses charm packs that I bought when I visited Erica in Michigan last August. Finished, it will look lovely hanging in our spare bedroom (yellow walls).

I've also been working on some thread painting for my art quilt group, but I need to make some much more significant progress before I have something I can show you.

No comments: