Monday, February 11, 2008

Civil War Reproduction

I know, I know, it’s been two weeks since I posted and you probably have wondered what in the heck I’ve been doing with myself. With Ben doing all of that travel, shouldn’t I have all kinds of time for quilting? Well, in theory, yes. In reality, however, that hasn’t been the case. What with all of that snow last week – and more projected tonight – I’ve had to go to bed earlier so that I can get up to deal with the snow. Then all of the time spent to actually deal with the snow. Plus, I’ve had a fair amount of volunteer stuff to take care of for my alumni class.

I did this weekend finish the binding on this quilt, which is largely made from Civil War reproduction fabrics. It’s entirely a fat-quarter quilt, and all of the fabrics were purchased from the Primitive Gatherings shop in Menasha, which I visited when we were up in that direction to run the U.S. Cellular Half Marathon last September. Civil War repros didn't used to be my thing, but they have grown on me, and I particularly liked the blue and cream combination. The pattern is from Evelyn Sloppy's 40 Fabulous Quick-Cut Quilts and is called Old-Time Treasures. The quilt in the book features reds and creams, which was really gorgeous too, but I settled on the blues thinking it had more decorating possibilities in our house.

I pieced the top at the weekend retreat in Lake Geneva in November (already I’m looking forward to it this year!) and Sandi Goulet quilted it for me (another fabulous job!). I have loads of “freebie” half-square triangles that I’ll develop at some point into some small bonus project, but I doubt that will happen any time soon. I’m planning to enter this in the guild’s quilt show next month, so I’m sure I’ll post more pictures then.

No comments: