Thursday, January 10, 2008

Antique Quilts


Last night my quilt guild hosted Julie Hendrickson, owner of the JJ Stitches quilt shop in Sun Prairie. Julie provided a trunk show of antique quilts from her collection, ranging from the mid-1800s through 1930. These quilts were amazing. The work was beautiful and the colors gorgeous, but what was most amazing was how imperfect they were - blocks totally cut off, huge bows in the borders, borders noticeably mismatched, etc. - things that most of us today would rip out or never show to anyone. And those imperfections made them all the more loveable. This program reminded me that a quilt need not be complicated to be beautiful, that it need not be perfect to be beautiful, and that it is highly unlikely that I will make a quilt with significant amounts of cheddar yellow.

While I didn't have the best seat in the house for taking pictures, I tried to get some reasonable ones. They're available in my Picasa web album. (They are also currently cycling through as a slide show at right).

No comments: