Sunday, March 23, 2008

What Season is It?

Yes, I do realize that today is Easter and that it is (supposedly) spring, but Mother Nature doesn't seem to have gotten the memo and we're just picking and choosing from the seasons as well in our daily life.

Yesterday, we spent the morning finishing up dealing with the foot plus of wet, heavy snow that fell throughout the day on Good Friday (thankfully, Ben was here to help me deal with this storm!). Last evening, we grilled burgers out on the grill in the sun and relative warmth that belied the winter storm we'd had the day before.

And last night, I finished up this Cardinal Season quilt by Gathering Friends (Kathryn Squibb and Deborah Jacobs). Yes, I know it's a Christmas project. Truth be told, I started it well over a year ago but had yet to finish. I made two other ones - one for each of my grandmas - which I gave to them as gifts for Christmas 2006 (just a few weeks late). I'd gotten mine pieced, but just hadn't gotten around to quilting it. I did most of the quilting over the Martin Luther King holiday weekend earlier this year, but didn't rip off the Golden Threads paper until last weekend.

The cardinals were panel pieces and I like them because they feel Christmasy but don't scream Christmas at you and I figure I can leave it up a bit beyond the official Christmas season. I meandered around the birds; the border includes a holly leaf/berry pattern. Note: it's not as crooked as it looks: I've got it stretched a bit between hangers that are a bit too wide, and it's hanging right in front of a bow in the design wall that I put under the hangers. Not necessarily the best photo conditions, but what I've got to work with!

Depending on how you look at it, I've got one Christmas project done well ahead of time!

No comments: