Sunday, March 16, 2008

Quilt Show - Recovery

It's hard to believe it, but our quilt show is over already! Lots of work, but a fabulous show, and everyone came together to make it happen. I feel lucky to be a part of a group that makes such fabulous works of art.

I entered nine quilts in the show; some of which I've shared previously on this blog, others of which were made before I began the blog, and one of which I finished up last week and have yet

This first quilt, my French Braid Quilt, is the one that I just finished and have yet to share. I started this quilt in a class at Fabric Fusion last fall. I fell in love with the fabric I selected for the outer border and used it as my starting point for this quilt, based on the Oriental Palms pattern in French Braid Quilts by Jane Hardy Miller. While most of the images in the book featured one-color palettes, I chose to work in both the blue and green ranges because I didn't want another blue-only quilt. The quilt finished at 68x96 and was quilted by Sandi Goulet.

I bought the fabrics to make this heart bargello for Ben just before our fifth anniversary when I was in New Hampshire for my fifth college reunion and had the opportunity to go shopping at Keepsake Quilting. Unfortunately, I was a bit slow in getting around to it and finished it about two years later. While the colors aren't exactly masculine, Ben does love the quilt, which is based on the book Bargello Hearts by Nancy Podolsky. The quilt is 76x95 and I had it quilted at Patched Works.

I finished this Lone Star quilt shortly after our last quilt show, and just before the Cutting Table quilt shop closed. I was looking for a challenge and the Lone Star is a good one with all of those inset seams and this arrangement also uses some curved piecing blocks. Alicia Avila taught the class; the central portion of the quilt is based on the book Lone Star Quilts and Beyond by Jan Krentz, but I modified and enlarged a paper piecing pattern from Quilter’s Newsletter for the outermost corners. Juli Meeks did an awesome job custom quilting this piece for me (final size is 47" square). I had it professionally appraised at the quilt show and was surprised at the value placed on it.

When 3 Sisters first came out with this Vienna Nights line and pattern, I fell in love with it. The red in this quilt is one of my favorite colors ever and I’ve used the colors in this quilt to pull together other items for our living room. I was a bit annoyed with the kit for this quilt: I didn't have enough of some of the fabrics in the borders, but had WAY more than necessary of the interior fabrics. To date, I've made three table runners from the leftovers and still have a fair amount of fabric remaining. The quilt finished at 76x92 and was machine quilted by Julie Meeks.

This Twisted Sisters quilt was begun in a guild-sponsored workshop with Ami Simms two years ago. Up until the day before the workshop, I was undecided as to the colors to use; in the end, I went into my closet, touched fabric until something really spoke to me. In this case, it was the luscious sea greens and blues. The finished quilt is 56x75 and was quilted by Patched Works.

I just loved this sweet pattern (Taffy Treats by Bunny Hill Designs), especially because it gave me the opportunity to learn how to create a scalloped border and use bias binding. Once I saw the pattern, I knew I had to make it in these sweet April Cornell fabrics. Julie Meeks quilted this one, with a finished size of 56x65.

I took a Drunkard’s Path class at the Cutting Table just before they closed to practice my curved piecing and to spend more fun time with Alicia, the instructor. For the central portion of the quilt I used only fabrics that I had received in the guild’s batik and dots exchanges earlier in the year. I machined quilted this 37" square project myself, using some yummy King Tut variegated thread by Superior Threads.

The other quilts I entered were the Country Stars and Civil War reproduction quilts I wrote about earlier this year. No ribbons for any of my quilts this year, but that's okay. I'm inspired to begin work on a whole bunch of stuff and to finish up some other projects that I just knew wouldn't make it in time for the show.

No comments: