Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Graduation Blues

I'm writing today to share a picture of the quilt that I made for Becky Keber, a soon-to-be Marquette graduate whom I had the fortune to have work for me throughout her entire undergraduate career. Becky was one of those remarkable few students who seemed to be able to balance everything really well (with a full complement of things on her plate) and who was a tremendous asset to the archives. I am so sad to see her go but know that she's going to be incredibly successful in the internships she has lined up with theatre companies in the coming year and that it's time for her to move on to bigger and better things.

Becky's quilt is the Chocolate Decadence pattern from Jason Yenter's (of In the Beginning Fabric) Floragraphix I Quilt Designs book, made from fabric by the same name (Floragraphix I). I loved the browns and teals and thought they were hip enough that Becky would like them too. And the quilt is really much simpler than it might seem: it's set on point and every other "block" is really just a fussy-cut portion of fabric that looks like it has been pieced. Sandi once again did a beautiful job quilting it, although we decided that the thread blended so well (and the top is so busy) that it is difficult to tell that it has hearts and coffee cups all over it).

I took Becky out to lunch on Monday and I'm pretty sure she likes the quilt (whew!). And she turned around and surprised me with something herself...which I'll share with you soon.

No comments: